Writing for the Soul
Want to boost your career? The Writing for the Soul conference, Feb. 13 to 16, 2014, at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, will feature 19 hours of classes devoted to the craft & career of writing, plus 22 hours on promotion & marketing. For details, click here.
But a few years ago, I finally learned to create a niche market — when I started writing humorous and inspirational books for senior adults.
Gettin’ Old Ain’t For Wimps and Help, Lord! I’m Having a Senior Moment have been bestsellers, and my other books on the quirks and perks of aging are also attracting older readers. I like writing for this group, and they seem to look forward to what I’ll do next.
Fill in the Blanks
If you have a niche you want to write for, consider using this formula to create and maintain that groove.
Complete each sentence as it relates to the writing you wish to do — article, book, novel, or blog. (For each, I offer my own answer as an example.)
1. I want to say: ______________________.
. . . that life in the senior zone can be full of love and laughter and the joy of the Lord if we focus on the blessings of each day, give thanks in all things no matter the circumstances, and walk in faith and trust.
2. I want to say it because: ______________________.
. . . I see too many older people consumed with their pain and problems, regrets and fears.
3. I want to reach people who are: ______________________.
. . . in the last half of life and need a pep talk or two.
4. I want readers to take away: ______________________.
. . . encouragement, inspiration, and reasons to keep living and laughing.
5. I want to glorify God: ______________________.
. . . by pointing to Him in everything I write.
Karen O’Connor is a Guild mentor and the author of more 75 books, many of them humorous nonfiction for seniors. Visit her at www.karenoconnor.com. At the Writing for the Soul conference, Karen will teach six classes in the nonfiction track and the craft & career track:
● How to Develop a Book Series
● Include Personal Experience in Your Nonfiction Books
● Preparing a Selling Proposal
● How to Create a Niche Market
● Organizing Time, Space, and Thoughts
● Taking Your Career Seriously
For nearly fifty years, the Christian Writers Guild has trained people to sell their writing.
Explore www.ChristianWritersGuild.com to learn more about our:
● writing courses
● critique service
● Writing for the Soul conference
● Operation First Novel contest
Also, consider publishing your book through Christian Writers Guild Publishing — a unique service that combines:
● quality education
● mentored guidance
● professional production
● effective marketing and sales tools
Finish the course — and we’ll publish your book.
Find out more at CWGPublishing.com