At the Blue Ridge Writer’s Conference a few years ago, a man in the audience stood and said, “Isn’t being a writer fun?”
I gaped at him like he’d grown antlers. Was he nuts? Writing isn’t fun; there are days when I want to pull out my hair, pound my computer, and burn my editor’s letters. It’s hard work.
But something about it must be fun, or, child that I am, I wouldn’t still be doing it.
Last Friday I wrote that getting published won’t make you cool—but there are many cool things about being a writer. In an effort to paint a balanced portrait, I confess that yes, sometimes writing can be fun—even wonderful.
- No dress code. Working in your pajamas, even though I don’t often do it.
- Flexibility. Knowing you can take any day off. If the sun is shining and you need a day to meditate, your work won’t suffer. It might even improve.
- Thumbing your nose at the taxman. Realizing that any story you read, view, or hear might be tax-deductible.
- Feeling powerful. Hearing from readers whose lives changed because of something I’ve written. Words have power, never forget it.
- Corner office on the world. Knowing you can work anywhere and at any time.
- Solitaire in community. Participating in a lonely, independent craft and then finding like-minded friends who do the same thing. No one understands a writer like a writer.
- Play-acting. Being able to live the life of a doctor, lawyer, scientist, gorilla researcher, angel, baker, soldier, musician, Southern belle, nurse, radio personality, world dictator, Amazon explorer, and whoever-else-I-want-to. I have squeezed several lifetimes into one, and loved every minute of it.
- Legacy. Believing some of my fragile words—whether printed or online—might outlive me.
- Wide-eyed dreamer. Using my imagination to make a living.
- Great calling card. Being able to call myself a writer. Many attempt it, few stick with it. If not for God-given measures of talent and stubbornness, I wouldn’t be typing this post—and you wouldn’t be reading it. Thank-you.
So, yes, sometimes the writing itself isn’t fun. But being a writer sure is. Find your joy today! Share in the comments what you like most about being a writer.
Angela Hunt is blessed to be a writer. Celebrate with her by visiting her online.