Confirm your strengths and assess your weaknesses—submit your writing to the Guild’s Critique Service for an appraisal. Enter code BLOG10 for a 10% discount on any partial manuscript critique.
Time and again frustrated writers ask why editors don’t offer comments on the manuscripts they reject.
The reality is that editors are paid to edit and produce magazines or books, not to coach writers. Giving feedback would mean investing too much time (20 to 30 minutes, compared to 5 to 10 to simply read a manuscript) — as most always have dozens to read. They must focus on finding polished manuscripts, not helping authors get to that stage.
So, where can writers find help to improve their skills?
● Through a Christian Writers Guild course. Your mentor will give you the hard feedback and editing you need.
● Through a writers’ conference. Many give you access to the editors you want to meet. You can learn through the classes they teach and show them some of your work for quick feedback.
● Through webinars. Twice a month, CWG offers live online instruction from top teachers.
● Through the CWG Critique Service. Experienced professionals thoroughly evaluate a sample of your writing — or a full manuscript.
● Through local critique groups. Learn about these at bookstores in your city or through a local writers group.
Editors have a heart for writers, but they have to focus on those who are already publishable. So do your best to become one of those pros.
Jeanette Gardner Littleton, a CWG mentor, has been an editor for 30 years. She has edited more than 10,000 articles for a variety of publications, and several dozen books for publishers including Bethany House, Moody, Tyndale, and Guideposts.
For more than forty years, the Christian Writers Guild has trained people to sell their writing.
Explore www.ChristianWritersGuild.com to learn more about our:
● writing courses
● critique service
● Writing for the Soul conference
● Operation First Novel contest for unpublished writers
Also, discover the possibility of publishing your book through Christian Writers Guild Publishing — a unique service that combines:
● quality education
● mentored guidance
● professional production
● effective marketing tools
Finish the course — and we’ll publish your book.
Go to www.CWGPublishing.com for more information.