Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll, is one of my favorite books. An exchange between Alice and the Cheshire Cat perfectly illustrates the importance of goal setting.
Alice asks, “Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?”
The cat replies, “That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.”
“I don’t much care where—“
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go.”
“—so long as I get somewhere.”
Writing for the Soul
Still time to register for the Writing for the Soul conference! Don’t miss out on the opportunity to learn from professional writers, pitch your work to agents and publishers, and be inspired by keynote speakers Liz Curtis Higgs, Ken Davis, and McNair Wilson.
Here at the Christian Writers Guild, we recognize the value of goal-setting. We’re here to help you get to where you want to go as a writer. In that spirit, I asked my co-workers to share their New Year’s resolutions with us. Accountability is good for us all.
Here are mine:
1. Revise my current manuscript and research the next.
2. Read The Art of War for Writers and one other craft book.
3. Deepen my relationships with God, family, friends.
Jerry B. Jenkins, Owner:
After reading the Bible through in 2010, made easier by having it on my Kindle, in 2011 I am resolved to read two 365-day devotionals—one on prayer and the other Scripture based.
Kerma Murray, Operations Director
Spend more time with my family—and my piano.
Tanya Shtatman, Office Assistant:
1. Try to read at least one new book a month.
2. Continue to deepen my children’s faith in God.
Matt Brown, Web Development and Communications:
1. Finish reading my book on programming design patterns.
2. Put my (soon-to-be) wife’s interests before my personal projects.
Julie Adams, Office Assistant
Find a great Bible study to grow in my faith and relationships.
Leilani Squires, Admissions Manager
Submit at least two articles per month.
Janice Mitchell, Office Manager
1. Put all others before myself.
2. Love my family more (if possible), while making memories to last a lifetime.
If you need help setting goals, read Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals. If you have a goal, or resolution, share it below.